Western Educational Adventures believes that youth need a strong, well-rounded up-bringing in order to be successful members of today’s society. We believe children need more than what our current education system offers, particularily in the way of life skills. That’s why at WEA we take academic and life skill education one step further than most summer camps. No matter the program, kids summer camps or winter ski camps, our participants have lots of fun, learn to think for themselves, manage conflict, accept responsibility for their actions and learn who they are.
Life is not as simple as it once was, in today’s technology driven world, children spend a large amount of time indoors playing on electronic devices and participating in scheduled indoor activities. Kids are not often exposed to the outdoors as they once were and are becoming increasingly less familiar with nature, less active and given less opportunities to play and explore. Even at many summer camps for kids, they are often in a community field or indoors and not out experiencing nature.
Outdoor play is vital to a child’s development and learning, children should be active throughout the day and encouraged to play outdoors, to breath fresh air and explore. Our camps for kids focus on hands-on, fun-filled, playful learning in nature that stimulate a child’s senses and facilitate learning through touch, sight and sound. Like all our programs, our camps for kids are based outdoors. WEA’s summer camps in Victoria BC and other programs are focused on getting children outside, allowing them to experience the beauty and wonder of our local Victoria and Vancouver Island natural environment.
1. Sunshine. Everyone benefits from some sun exposure to produce vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in body processes, from bone development to immune system strength. Sun exposure also plays a role in healthy sleep. It does wonders for our moods too. When we get some sunshine every day our bodies work at optimal levels. WEA’s kids summer camps and spring break camps are perfect places to catch these important rays!
2. Exercise. Children (and adults) should be active for at least an hour every day. Getting outside and participating in various camp activities is a great way to make that happen. Fun outdoor activities encourages active play, the ideal exercise for children. WEA’s camps and programs get children running, hiking, canoeing, fire building, learning about archery, and much more!
3. Executive function. These are the skills that help us plan, prioritize, troubleshoot, negotiate, and multitask. Creativity is extremely important - using our imagination for both problem-solving and to entertain ourselves. WEA helps kids learn, practice, and hone these skills. Part of this process is providing children with unstructured time, both alone and with other children. There should be opportunity for kids to invent their own games, figure things out and amuse themselves. Being involved in WEA outdoor camps and programs gives children these opportunities - to learn and practice these significant life skills.
4. Taking risks. Children need to take some risks. As parents, this makes us anxious. But if we shield our children from all risks, we may be preventing them from gaining the confidence and bravery needed to face life’s inevitable risks and challenges as they grow. They may never know what they can achieve themselves. Further, the lessons we learn from failure are just as important as those we learn from success. By participating in one of WEA’s summer camps or other outdoor programs, children develop new skills themselves. They learn to hike, fire build, canoe and more. One of our summer camp activities might even become a central focus of your child’s life.
5. Socialization. Children need to learn how to work together. They need to learn to make friends, how to treat other people, how to share and cooperate. If they are restricted to interacting in very structured settings, such as school or community sports teams, they may only develop a few of these skills. WEA’s outdoor camps and other outdoor programs provide children with the opportunity to develop all of the socialization skills they will need in life.
6. Appreciation of nature. So much of our world is changing. Imagine what a child would lose by not walking in the woods, digging in soil, seeing animals in their natural habitat, climbing a mountain, playing in a stream, or staring at the endless ocean. Our children are the future of our planet. It is vital that they appreciate it. WEA summer camps and other outdoor programs gives kids the opportunity to appreciate nature and their natural surroundings.
"Excellent program. My son is an active 10 year old with more energy than I know what to do with. He came home exhausted but happy and is looking forward to this summer!"
"I am an 11 year old girl who attended camp last summer. I learned how to start a fire with just a match and what I could find on the forest floor, I improved my archery skills and I experienced canoeing for the first time. We helped cook and set up shelter. Landon was very funny and nice. He made me feel welcome. It was super duper fun."
-Ciana, Age 11
If you live in Victoria, BC no need to search for “camps near me” because you’ve landed yourself in the right place with Western Educational Adventures. We run youth day programs (day camps), multi-day programs (multi-day camps) and overnight programs (sleepaway camps), school programs, educational canoe, kayak and hiking expedition camps for children and youth and custom outdoor programs for all ages in and around Greater Victoria and Vancouver Island. Whether you are a 9-year-old looking for something fun to do this summer, a teacher looking for educational camps for a class trip, a company looking for a teambuilding venue or a family wanting more than just a kayak tour, look to us for a one of a kind outdoor educational experience.
Join WEA on one of their fun-filled, outdoor educational summer camps in Victoria, B.C.! Program activities include swimming, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, archery, geocaching, fire-building, shelter-building, camp cooking, running games and more and may vary slightly from week to week depending on weather and participant input. All of our camps and programs are experiential and educationally focused. Your child will have a blast learning important life and wilderness / outdoor skills! We have people searching for “camp BC” come to us for one of the best summer experiences BC has to offer!
WEA offers Victoria summer expeditions camps, and custom outdoor programs for young people of various ages and genders; and for families. Our expedition program camps include theme specific activities - hiking, canoeing or sea kayaking - and incorporate a multi-day wilderness expedition trip of varying length.
Aside from our awesome summer camps in Victoria, keep your children & teens active during the school year! Western Educational Adventures (WEA) offers spring break camps, surf camps, Pro-D Day camps, an outdoor children's fitness program & a teen leadership program in and around Greater Victoria, B.C. Activities include hiking, kayaking, camping skills, geocaching, navigation, orienteering, fire building, forest running games, surfing, survival skills & more. WEA also offers custom program camps for school groups, organizations, individuals and families year-round.
WEA offers a unique set of Victoria BC & Vancouver Island based winter camps & programs that create life-enhancing learning experiences while exposing youth to winter outdoor opportunities that are not often accessible. WEA's winter camps & programs introduces (and educates) our participants to new areas, cultures and unique natural environments. Our winter Pro-D Day camps program include ski / snowboard & winter skills days. Our winter snowboard and ski camps program vary from one day (Pro-D Day) programs to 3-day weekend programs and 5-day Christmas holiday programs. By utilizing Vancouver Island ski hills that offer both unique terrain features and snow conditions, we are able to provide our participants with life enhancing learning experiences and rapidly improve both their skiing / boarding abilities and on snow decision-making skills. Aside from our "frozen water" adventures, WEA also runs a Vancouver Island based educational surf program near Tofino, BC.
Are you a teacher in Victoria or on Vancouver Island looking to do something fun outdoors with your class? Why not give Give WEA's school group programs a try. We offer partial, full and multi-day programs at your school, one of our facilities or elswhere on Vancouver Island! Programs include snowshoeing, forest ecology, predator-prey, outdoor survival skills, winter skills, orienteering & geocaching, marine biology, overnight wilderness expeditions, custom programs and more! Like all our programs, Vancouver Island and Victoria school group programs are facilitated by highly skilled and qualified outdoor instructors. Your class can have a great time outside on almost any budget!
Join us on some fun, active, educational and exciting family camps program! Western Educational Adventures Inc. offers a range of outdoor programs tailored specifically for small and large private groups like families, friends corporate groups and more in and around Greater Victoria, B.C. These custom outdoor tours include snowshoe tours, hiking tours, outdoor private swimming lessons, birthday parties, ski lessons & trips, wilderness navigation courses, camping skills courses & more. Some of the tours and courses offer activities that include: snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, geocaching, navigation, orienteering, archery, bouldering, camping, knot-tying, fire building, swimming, forest running games and survival skills.